When Stopping at the side of the road we will use the M.S.P.S.L routine.
Mirrors, Signal, Position, Speed, Look
Check your mirrors so you’re aware of the situation behind you before pulling over and how that might affect others.
Signal if there is anyone around that would benift. Time your siganl as not to confuse other road users, for example
– don’t signal driving past a junction as it may look like you are turning into the junction.
– don’t signal too early as other cars will be confused as to where you’re pulling over.
– don’t siganl too late and not give other road user enough warning that you are stopping.
-timing the siganl will depend on the speed you are driving when you decide to stop. (you can practice this with your instructor.)
Position the car so it’s next to the kerb. The ideal way to do this is to keep looking ahead and line yourself up with the road in front of you. Try to keep you eyes moving, if you stare in one place you may lose perspective of your angle or position.
Slow the car down so you can get a better postion then come to a gentle stop.
1. Off gas
2. Gently brake to start then more firmly
3. Press clutch down just before the car stops
4. Ease the pressure off the brake just as the car stops.
Look all around for hazards, keep your eyes adjusting when trying to position the car. Look for a Safe Convienient and Legal place to park.
Some thing to consider,
- Don’t park too close to other vehicles, in particular those displying blue badges or needed wheelchair access.
- Check that emergancy can get past and you’re not blocking the road.
- Don’t park where it would be hazardous for others to pass, e.g bends, brow of the hill.
- Always male sure you’ve parked somewhere legal, e.g look out for parking restrictions, don’t park with 10 metres of a junction.